Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Release the Kraken

Been a while, well a long while, since I last posted in my blog. So much has changed and evolved in my life that the passion I felt for building had slipped away and real life took it's rightful place. NWN2 and the subsequent let down of Dragon Age occupied me for a moment, for that moment I was truly excited, then I realised that the magic I felt building in NWN was not there.

I have turned my back on these pale shadows of multiplayer worlds and returned to my joy of NWN. Yes the graphics are dated now and the players are slowly fading away but there is something true and pure about building in it.

I have been working part time on my PW Aeon and adding content and enriching the world as I go. At times I respond to user needs and spend many thankless hours working on content for them, mostly content that is not used. Now I am more focussed on my needs and find that building stuff in NWN that makes me happy is the way to go and seems to also get implemented so much faster in Aeon.

My Current Joy in NWN is adding Shayans Subrace Engine (SSE) so that I can have all the various races present in Aeon and then I can build legacies on top of them with all the plusses and negatives of a race/legacy. The joy does fade a bit when I realise that choices made in building Aeon aroudn the scripting side have created a some form of a slumbering beast in the code. This Kraken is in the include statements and having too many of them called at once. Adding in SSE was like Hades in "Clash of the Titans" releasing the Kraken, a monster from deep and one hard to quell.
Still this is a joy and I dream about vanquishing the mutiple include error mesages through trial and error and perhaps I shall succeed

Below the thunders of the upper deep,
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides: above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie
Battering upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by men and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
by Lord Alfred Tennyson

No comments: